Preparation 15 minutes / Cooking 15 minutes
3⁄4 cup rice flour
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
125ml (1⁄2 cup) coconut milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
125ml (1⁄2 cup) lime juice
1 1⁄2 tablespoons raw sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
1⁄3 cup grapeseed or rice bran oil
125ml (1⁄2 cup) soda water, chilled
500g white fish, cut into small strips (substitute with prawns)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
1 small carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup mixed herb leaves (such as mint, basil and coriander)
FOR THE PANCAKES
1. Put 1⁄2 cup of the rice flour in a bowl with the turmeric, coconut milk and egg and whisk to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 100°C.
FOR THE NUOC MAM Combine the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in half the chilli then set aside.
TO COOK & SERVE
1.Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Whisk the soda water into the pancake batter to combine. Pour half the pancake batter into the pan, swirling to coat the base.
3. Fry for 5 minutes or until the underside is golden and the pancake is cooked through then carefully transfer the pancake to a baking tray and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
4. Add the remaining flour to a large shallow bowl and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dust the fish in the mixture to coat, shaking off any excess.
5. Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the fish for 1-2 minutes each side until just cooked through.
6. Top each pancake with half the fish, bean sprouts, cucumber, carrot and herbs. Drizzle with the dressing then cut each pancake in half and serve.